Emblem 142

Information and materials


Because the places I’ve been to and experiences I’ve had comprise my life and work, I decided to make the piece from pieces of my own. They are mementos, ephemera which I cannot bear to get rid of in a clear-out, but ones which are essentially worthless without the memories I’ve attached to them. I hope they will find a new life as part of something which can be enjoyed by others who are not bound by such sentimentality to these journeys.
I think Sterne would have appreciated the pieces of text, symbols and numerals obfuscating the central message itself, appropriated from him. Some of the objects will be familiar to others; I’ve always felt that creative work is full of small clues about its creator, a sort of code, and none more intriguingly so as when those creators are anonymous….